One little-known and rarely used scholarship available in Utah is the Governor’s Golden Shield Scholarship. With most scholarships, it’s a shame when nobody steps forward to claim the money, but in this case, it’s a good sign; it is for family members of police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty. As much as we wish it were never needed, there are some people who are eligible to benefit from this award.
This award is actually a tuition waiver, which means that it will cover the cost of tuition, but cannot be given in cash to pay for books or other school-related supplies.
- This scholarship is open to undergraduate students.
Students must be the immediate family (spouse or children*) of a police officer or firefighter killed in the line of duty. (Note: children must be under 25 years of age at the time the officer or firefighter is killed in order to qualify for this award.)
- Students must be enrolled at a public college or university in the state of Utah.
- Student must apply for financial aid through his or her institution, demonstrate financial need, document residency in Utah, and meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements set by the institution.
To learn more about the award details, you can check out the exact language of the legislature enacting this tuition waiver.
If you, or someone you know, might be eligible for this award, here are the steps to take:
- Contact Scott Stephenson (801-256-2322) at the Peace Officer Standards Training (POST) in the Department of Public Service.
- POST will verify that the student is eligible to receive the scholarship, and will send a certification letter to the financial aid office at the college or university the student wishes to attend.
- The student may then apply for a tuition waiver from their college or university. In order to apply for this, the student will need a birth certificate and information about the deceased police officer or firefighter, as well as meet the eligibility criteria listed above.
If you have any questions about this award, please let us know in the comments section!